Stillington & Whitton -History

Click here for History Pictures & Slideshow         also         From the Archives

 

Stillington

 

From The Archives (short version)

In the 13th. century the hamlet of Stillington was part of the extensive estates held by the Amurdiville family, whose head was one of the powerful barons controlling the country throughout this period 'About 1200 Robert de Amundeville granted to Ralph de Hamsterley 2 oxgangs of land in STILLINGTON (Stillyngton, xiii cent.) that had belonged to Robert son of Huchtred.  The whole 'manor' was in 1268 acquired by Walter de Merton from Thomas son of Ralph de Amundeville, one of his special friends, and given to Merton College, Oxford, which he founded. ) The college possesses deeds relating to the place from 1200 onwards and court rolls of the manor from 1290 to 1396, but the customs of the manor have not been kept up. (William de Hamsterley, who granted certain lands to John his son, released part at least of his holding to the college in 1290.  In 1634 Charles I granted a confirmation of the manor to the warden and scholars of Merton, and the college retains the estate in Stillington.'...............................

 1830 -1950 

Information from 'There was a Green Hill' - History of Stillington, written by Don Tuffs


1833  Opening of the Clarence Railway

1838  Original Stillington Railway Station Erected

1838  Two Cottages built adjacent to Station

1858  Sale of Moor Closes (site of Iron Works)

1860  Manufacture of bricks started at Moor Closes

1865  Start of Iron Works
         Transfer of Moor Closes ownership to Bastow & Co Ltd and commencement of building Blast Furnaces
1866   Blast Furnace brought into operation
1866  2nd Blast Furnace built then Furnaces closed down – financial problems

1870  Model Lodging House built
1870  Bought by Briggs Bros.- North of England Industrial Iron & Coal Co.
         Raised height of blast furnaces to 80ft also erected 3rd one.
1870  ?First Street of Houses, Slag Row (18 houses)  - renamed North Street
1870  Railway Passenger Halt opened

1871  Blast Furnaces brought into operation
1871  Number of Houses 12 - Total population 79

1872  Ecclesiastical Parish of Stillington formed

1873  West Street (31 houses), South Street (16 houses), for workers and

         Mount Pleasant (6 houses) for senior personnel built
1873 Stable Row later renamed Office Row (3 houses)

1874  Cassidi Hall built as a Mission House – (now Cassidi Gardens)
1874  Co-operative Stores opened in 16 West Street

1875  Temporary School opened in the Model Lodging House

1876  The Royal Hotel built top of West Street & Railway Row (4 houses)
1876  Workingman’s Club and 3 shops forming Morrison Terrace
1876  Church Street later renamed Lowson Street (13 houses) Morrison Street (37 houses) built

1877  Company changed name to Carlton Iron Company Limited
1877  School and school house built adjacent to Lowson Street houses –

1878  Typhoid Fever hit village

1879  Foundation stone for St John’s Church laid – completed 1880

1881  Number of Houses 135 - Total population 611

1884  Wesleyan Chapel built end of South Street
1884  Vicarage built
1884  Railway Station, Station House and Subway built

1885  Infant School moved into Cassidi Hall

1888  Forty Coke Ovens erected north of Blast Furnaces
1888  Water Supply to village

1889  Extension to Lowson Street extra 21 houses
1891  Number of Houses 158 - Total population 976
1891  School Fees abolished

1894  Water taps to each house

1895  Whitton Parish formed (Whitton Village & Village of Carlton Iron Works)

1897  Glykoline Lubricant Company opened

1898  Glykoline Terrace built (3 houses)

1899  Little Lowson Street built (17 houses)

1901  Number of Houses 192 -Total Population 994

1903  Measles & Whooping Cough Epidemic – 95 out of 135 absent from school

1911  Number of Houses 192 - Total population 1024
1911  Wm Cassidi School built and  Lowson School Children took possession.
         Infants moved from Cassidi Hall into Lowson School

1912  Blacking Mill started in Iron Works Rolling Mill building

1913  Proposed Water Closets to be fitted in new houses and privies converted where possible
1913  Redmarshall Street (20 houses) and Kirk Street (9 houses) built

1914 149 youths volunteered for War active service 36 killed in action

1920  Dorman & Long took over the Iron Works
1920  Total street lights in village were 8, powered through works generator

1920  West St (west side) 29 houses, South Street (8 houses) built - these houses came under Sedgefield RDC
        the rest of village was under Stockton RDC - this was not resolved until Cleveland County formed in 1974

1921  The Park (Kirk Street / Redmarshall Street) constructed
1921  Messines Lane (named after WW1 Battle site) constructed – known today as the new road!!
1921  Bells Square site of the Park Gates
1921  Number of Houses 263 -Total Population 1315

1922  Carlton Iron Works employed 460 (405 men & boys, 51 women & girls)
1922  Playing field made suitable for cricket, children not allowed to play there
1922  Unveiling of the War Memorial

1925  Twelve more street lights added

1926  Formation of North Eastern Iron Refinery Company Limited - start of specialised refined pig iron

1928  Provision of telegraph facilities in village

1929  Formation of Boy Scouts Group

1930  Dorman & Long decided work would cease forthwith after last furnace ‘blew out’Works closed down
1930  Churchyard extension

1931  Number of Houses 263 -Total Population 1130 despite heavy unemployment

1931 The village of Carlton Iron Works was renamed Stillington
        The original Stillington was renamed Old Stillington
1931  Fire Hydrant erected in West Street (still there)

1934  Conversion of privies to water closets
1934  Formation of voluntary Fire Brigade

1935  End of Carlton Iron Company
1935  Co-operative Store moved from West St to Morrison Terrace

1937  Slag Works (The Cracker) closed down

1938  First Telephone Box sited at Lowson Street

1939  Stillite Products Limited opened

1940  Formation of Home Guard, Auxiliary Fire Service, Home Guard
1940  Searchlight sited between Stillington and Old Stillington

1941  British plane crashed left of Whitton road

1941  Air Raid Shelters built

1943  German Dornier Aircraft Shot Down –  4 crew apprehended by Stillington Home Guard

1945  Playing field bought through local fundraising organised by Women’s Institute for £130 for sole use as a
         Recreational area with oversee and maintenance by the Parish Council
1945  Dorman & Long sold all Village houses to Bradford Property Trust, who then offered to sitting tenants

1946  German Prisoners of War cleaned up all areas north of Railway line

1947  Cassidi Hall taken over as Workingman’s Club
1947  Electric Lighting in village school

1948  Stillington Parish Players formed (Amateur Dramatics)
1948  Whitton Grove (26 houses) Park Crescent (30 houses)  buil

1950  North Street demolished (18 houses)

 1950 .....

1952 Railway Station ceased Passenger Services 

1953 Womens Institute built Village Hall in Park top of Remarshall Street (used as Works Canteen also)

1954 The Park divided into plots and sold

1954 Dr Rowbottom built house & surgery on Park Plot adjacent to Messinges Lane

1956 Mr T Tingle built integrated Shop / House on Park Plot opposite Bells Square, 4 more bungalows built on The Park site, Wooded area (Plantation) cleared, 2 bungalows built by Mr Norman Argyle

1958 Blacking Mill demolished (buildings, housing 2 rolling mills and plant - plate for shipbuilding

1958 Offices built and expansion of British Refraisal on Blacking Mill Site

1960 British Refraisal changed its name to Darchem Engineering

1960 Glykoline closed, taken over by Clarkes, Glykoline Terr houses taken over as Offices / Canteen

1960 Schools reorganised, Post 11 year olds moved to Sedgefield or Ian Ramsey Comp. School, Infants moved  from Lowson St. School to Stillington County Mixed Junior & Infants School (now Wm. Cassidi)

1961 Lowson St School converted to Village Hall managed by Stillington Village Hall Association

1961 Womens Institute Hall became redundant as a village hall, used by Works as storage area

1964 New Carlton Bridge built adjacent to the old Arch bridge under Railway

1965 Railway Station demolished after fire caused irreparable damage

1965 Railway Cottages demolished , replaced by 4 pensioners bungalows

1965 Stillite closed

1968 Workingmans Club moved from Cassidi Hall to new purpose built premises adjacent to Donkey Bank

1968 Cassidi Hall used as a Youth Club

1970 Slag Heap removed, used during construction of A1(M) for hardcore, Bradbury area

1971 Darchem expanded on some of the site of Slag Heap, modern Shops and Offices

1975 (approx) Cassidi Hall demolished and site transformed into public garden

1972 Chapel, South St closed due to lack of renovation finances and demolished, now a garden area

1977 120  Houses, 14 Bungalows Built by Stockton District Council,

Mount Pleasant, Mount Pleasant Grove, Mount Pleasant Walk, Manor Drive, Manor Grove The Crofts

1978 Demolition of 100 Houses, Shops, Post Office & School House in Morrison St, Morrison Terr, Lowson St

Residents re housed in - Mount Pleasant Estate

1978 Post Office relocated to shop on West Street

1985 School renamed William Cassidi Church of England Primary School linked to Church governance.

1989 Women’s Institute Hall demolished to make way for New Health Centre

1990 New Health Centre – Park Lane Surgery built in Redmarshall St.

1991 94 private houses built by Wimpeys, St Johns Park, Weir View, Jasper Grove

         New road developed from Church through village to align with Carlton Bridge

1995 Station Signal Box destroyed by fire

         Site of Slag Tip developed, Landscaped to form Forest Park, Trees planted by pupils of Wm Cassidi School

2004 Luncheon Club started for older Residents

2004 Manor House Sheltered Housing demolished (31 flats)

2005 8 bungalows.-2 2bed -2 3bed Houses built by Endeavour Housing- Belsmoor Close on Manor House site,

2005 First Roadshow held at Community Centre

2006 Church Restoration

2006 Playground, F’ball field drainage, F’Ball Portacabin, West Street, built by Residents Ass.

2006 Total Dwellings 437 - Population 1.079  (532 males 547 females)


2007 First Annual Roadshow held open air on West Street Playing Field

2007 Open Spaces Project landscape Cassidy Gardens

2008 Art Group Started

2008 Open Spaces Project landscape Chapel Gardens - Planter installed around villages

2008 54 4/5 bedroom private houses built by Geo.Wimpey - Forest Park.

2008 Community Centre yard levelled & resurfaced with Basket Ball Court

2008 North East Iron Refinery renamed Metabrasive

Make a Free Website with Yola.